Friday, August 9, 2013

Re-Re-Entry: Hitting the Ground Running

I haven't posted for the last couple of days because the craziness of my internship offers and beginning work has consumed most of my time.  If you don't know the story, the short version is I had three offers to choose from by the night before I left Poland, and I had to interview, choose, and start orientation all within 36 hours of getting home.  I really couldn't ask for better, though.  I am actually thankful that I've had some structure in these past two days and something to get up for in the mornings.  Otherwise, I think I would have gone crazy in the house by myself and with trying to figure out what I needed to do next.

It feels different coming back this time than last time.  Maybe it makes a difference being out of the country twice as long.  Here's what struck me:

  • My first thought on entering the Fort Wayne airport terminal: "It's FREEZING in here!" (American-strength A/C.  I actually was pretty miserable being in an air-conditioned conference room for a lot of the day--even moreso than normal.  I've had to turn off the A/C in the house because I couldn't stand having it on.)
  • The house felt enormous when I walked in the door.
  • I've had to make sure I turned on the light switches correctly.
  • I have the windows open just for noise.
  • Speaking of which, there are cicadas outside.
  • And lawn mowers.  I've been hearing those instead of horse-drawn carriages or golf carts passing by.
  • The drink I had at my lunch out yesterday looked HUGE!  And I got a refill!
  • There are suddenly many more people of color.
  • There are also suddenly more large people. (sorry, but I've noticed :-( )
  • Egg yolks are yellow instead of orange.
I've also been thinking about things I found that I really missed while in Poland, as well as things I will miss about Kraków/Poland/Europe now that I'm home.

Happies for being back in the States:
  • My own bed.  Seriously, I don't think a bed has ever felt as good as it did on Wednesday night.  My body thinking it was 4 AM when I went to bed may have had something to do with that, though.
  • The US: the land of free water, free refills, and public drinking fountains!
  • I know I just went on about not liking A/C, but having it at night to help me sleep is AMAZING.
  • Pandora
  • Clothes dryer
  • Dishwasher
And I'm sad I left these things behind:
  • Real, fresh fruits and vegetables, any time I want
  • Bathroom stall doors opening outward, not inward
  • Let's face it: it's cheaper in Poland
  • Decent beer
  • I'm missing the Pierogi Festival right now.  :-(
  • And of course, the Rynek Główny, in all its beauty in the evenings.  I will miss this the most.
Now, I must have some more of that wonderful sleep.  I had a lot to take in today. :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | free samples without surveys