Saturday, September 15, 2012

Errands, Shopping, and Ferris Wheel

Today the first part of the day was spent getting a few errands run.  One fun part about it was that I was able to find shoes in my size.  Let me explain a little: I wear size 12.5 in the US.  The problem is that starting at size 12, US shoes usually only go in integer sizes.  It's been a long, long time since I've actually had shoes in my exact size.  They'll probably feel tight on the first few runs, but I think it'll be fine after they get a little usage.

After this was a trip to the post office to figure out shipping some stuff home to the US.  This would have been a pretty difficult task had it not been for my bilingual friend Sarah, who was providing interpretation services for me.  I don't know how long it would have taken to negotiate that without a Polish speaker!

The next stop was by the main square, where there was more-or-less a flea market taking place in one corner.  Now flea markets are interesting in the US, but they are even more interesting here in Poland.  There was a good deal of Soviet paraphernalia, as well as a lot of interesting old Polish stuff.  I even saw an Elvis record (no idea how it got here).  Here are some photos of the scenery:




I also got to see Sarah's kittens again today.  They've gotten bigger, but they're still plenty small.  Pardon the blurriness; they don't exactly hold still very long.



Then, I finally got to ride on the Ferris wheel that is along the south bank of the Vistula river, just past Wawel castle.  Sarah got to face her fear of heights.  We had different reactions to this event, but I think in the end both of us were glad we went.  In that first picture Sarah is flailing around quite a bit.



It's hard to believe I only have 11 days left in Poland.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | free samples without surveys