Thursday, August 2, 2012

The adventure continues

For the past couple of days, I've been letting Laurel do the writing because she's leading a more exciting life than I am.  The routine of work is setting in; although there are new challenges daily, the process of moving from place to place, finding food, and general weekday life is becoming uneventful to me.  The Planty is still beautiful; the main square still leaves me staring at night; the hejnal is still enchanting; but it's starting to become more normal.

One new challenge I faced was the process of gathering fudge ingredients in Poland.  Those of you that know me know that I have practiced making this candy for a large proportion of my life, and I think it's pretty good.  I want to make it here in Poland, but acquiring the ingredients is a challenge.  We made a stop by Carrefour yesterday (and yes, the old man on the Zamboni was there again), and I think I've got them all, but I won't really know until I try to make it this weekend and see how the process goes.  Here's hoping!

Laurel (and Puffer) have continued their adventures today.  Laurel was able to catch some video of some traditional Polish music today


She also discovered a festival in a small square on the other side of the old town from us.  After some research, she determined this festival was dedicated to relaxation, taking it easy, sloth, or something similar.  Regardless, they had good food, drink, and nice souvenirs.  Here's a photo of the festival's sign:



She also met up with a friend for lunch and coffee, and was shown a nice restaurant with good food.  I'll let her tell that story in some future post.  However, I did want to share this picture of the "head" statue in Rynek Główny.  If you look closely, you can see Puffer.  My wife has a gift for taking pictures of stuffed animals in absurd places.  Giant metal head, tiny puffin Beanie Baby:



It's hard to believe I've been in Europe over a month.  The reminders are everywhere: the calendars have turned, various end-of-month emails from places, and the fact that I have to buy a new monthly train pass tomorrow.  Time flies!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | free samples without surveys