Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Barbican and a New Passport

The first thing I needed to do today was pick up my new passport I ordered from the U.S. Consulate.  I got an email yesterday telling me it was ready, and I was glad to put to rest at last any identification troubles I may have down the road.

The exploring I did today consisted of visiting the Barbican fortress and behind it, the old city defense walls on either side of St. Florian's gate.  Puffer came along and posed for a few shots.

The city began its fortification in the 1200s, and the Barbican was one of the first stone and brick structures built.  In ye olde days, it spanned two moats, both at its outer gate and on the bridge going back to St. Florian's gate.  The moat is now the Planty.

 Barbican from the outside.

 Puffer looking regal on the ledge of the second level inside the fortress.

 A view through one of the second-story loopholes back toward St. Florian's gate and the Old Town.

 A view down the inside of the city defense wall next to St. Florian's gate.

St. Florian's gate from farther away.  You can just see the walls beginning to extend from each side in the bottom of the photo.

Tomorrow I will go to Auschwitz.  I'm both excited and dreading what I will see.  Nevertheless, I think it will be an unforgettable experience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | free samples without surveys